Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Chair

I got this chair from my Dad after my grandmother passed away. It was one of the things I got when my Dad gave away her things to the family members. I have had this chair for about 2 years or more now and it's been around the house and on the porch here and there and really hasn't had any purpose in our house nor have I found a place for it. I was thinking about it the other week and was really wanting to do something special with it but couldn't figure out what. That's when it hit me!! I want this chair to be a part of my craft room. I spend so much time in there and I really wanted to make it into something fun and whimsical for me to sit in while I do my crafting or sewing. It's also a great way to honor my grandmother and remember her.

So I'm sharing this process with my blog friends!! So far I have sanded it down, primered and have started the painting process. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but I'm just kind of thinking it up as I go. I really love the colors red/black and white together so I figured that those would be the base of my colors. I also want to add stenciling and after it's all done I will put a coat of Polyurethane for shine. I'm going to sew a chair pad for it too but haven't found a fabric that I love yet.. I'm still looking.. It doesn't look like much yet but you will get updates as I go. Here are pictures of the process thus far.....
This is what the chair looked like before


 The Sanding Process was slow going, took about a day to finish it all.

After I put the Primer on it looked like this
I used the grey primer because I was going to use such dark colors


 This was the first day of painting. The Red ended up taking 3 coats but the black I only had to paint twice.

 This is what the chair looks like after the paint has dried. I still need to paint the foot spindles and I'm not sure that I like the white under the seat. I might re-paint that part with black but otherwise I think it looks good so far. I'm going to start stenciling after the paint dries. More to come........................

3 comments:

  1. What a fun project you are into doing. I like the white under the seat and I think the rungs should be white too. I can't wait to see it all done with the stencils on it. So far it's looking very 40's or 50's inspired. Just need some black and white checks on it; LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudine, This is wonderful facelift and such a fantastic finished piece. I have been wanting to try something like this and just need to find the right chair. Thank you for the fabulous inspiration.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete